Sunday, November 30, 2008

Last pie post, I swear

I'm on the mend now, but I'm afraid I've wasted this long weekend and four-day break of Josh's. This cold sucks - it kept me confined to the house during some of the best weather we've had in ages. The only beneficiaries are our bellies - this is my third and final pie variety for some time.

Pizza pie this time - I made roasted garlic pizza for dinner and it was, surprisingly, not that good. I thought I was going for something minimalistic, a Mediterranean delight with no cheese and minimal toppings. Turns out? It was boring as CRAP.

The vegetable we had, on the other hand, was amazing. I have orders for you, Internet:

NEVER STEAM BROCCOLI AGAIN.

I mean it.

Don't make me come over there.

What you do is, you heat your oven to 450. Then you take your fresh broccoli florets and toss them with a little olive oil (garlic oil if possible, see below). Then you spread them out on a baking sheet and let 'em roast for 20 minutes in the middle of the oven. Then take them out and toss with a little salt and pepper, and maybe some Parmesan or low-fat mozzarella if you like. Presto - delicious.

Garlic oil is a new favorite in our house. Last week I went on a field trip with Mary Poppins and the wee bebe; they took me up to Costco for shopping and lunch. We both got quite a few things, but I was unimpressed with the prices - until we got to the produce section. We each got two mesh tubes of garlic - maybe fifteen heads per tube? - for less than three dollars. There has been a lot of garlic consumed in this house lately.

Garlic Oil:
1-3 heads of garlic
1-3 cups olive oil (1c per head)
Fresh rosemary sprigs, if desired.

Preheat the oven to 400. Remove the papery outer layers of garlic skin (but not the individual clove skins), cut the top 1/3 of the garlic heads off and discard. Place the garlic, cut side down, in a small ovenproof dish with the rosemary, if desired, and cover with the oil. Cover with tin foil and roast until the mixture is very fragrant and the garlic cloves are quite soft.

Remove the garlic with tongs and set aside to cool - delicious on toast points, pizza, or bruschetta. Strain the oil and, once it has cooled, store it in an airtight container at room temperature.

I can't wait to try popcorn made with this stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd be careful about the garlic oil and popcorn, unless you mean that you'll drizzle the garlic oil over the finished popcorn. I'd be afraid that popping the corn in the garlic oil would burn whatever garlic is actually in the oil. I'm eager to hear your results!

Kenneth