Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Home cooking

The trick to contentment when one partner has to travel for work is to create rituals for life when he's away. Little things to look forward to when lonesome threatens. I am so impressed by couples who maintain their marriages over three-, six-, nine-month deployments and more, but when Josh leaves for a week, I make soup.

Josh doesn't like soup. He thinks food should be chewed, not drunk. I love soup - I love good vegetarian food with complex flavors and lots of nutrition, especially when it can be made in one pot. Soup fits the bill. And it's especially fitting when the weather looks like it did today.So I made Zucchini and Rosemary Soup from Epicurious, with just a few modifications. (4 cups of broth instead of 6, extra zucchini, and less butter than is called for.)
And oh, it was good. It was just what the doctor ordered, and it took less than an hour to make. Just a little slicing, a little saute, a couple shavings of Parmesan, et voila:When I was growing up in Maine, my mother planted zucchini in the garden. She planted in spring, after a loooong, cooooold winter, and let's just say she had to get creative to use up all those zucchinis when the harvest arrive. This soup would be a beautiful way to feature the fruits of your springtime enthusiasm.

No comments: