Monday, August 18, 2008

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

It's so true! Last night we had dinner at a friend's house, a really great couple from the band. They live in a Japanese style home out in town, and they even picked us up and dropped us off back at the Navy Lodge. We had delicious salmon and then Nutella crepes for dessert - what a treat!

Unfortunately, I am an idiot and am not used to the Japanese toi-re (toilet) setup. The toilet gets its own little room, which is set in a couple inches below the rest of the house.

Also? Have you ever had to flush a toilet with a remote control? How about one that is written in Japanese, a language whose written form includes three alphabets, one of which has 4,000 characters.

Did I mention the toilet also has a bidet? Yeah.

So after I used the toi-re, I was confronted with a problem. I could randomly press buttons and risk getting showered in all kinds of interesting places, or I could admit defeat and ask for help. I opted for #2 (heh heh) and turned to leave the bathroom. With purpose, people - I had a mission.

Naturally, instead of stepping carefully up the step, I slammed the bejeezus out of my second toe on my left foot. Our lovely hostess got me a bandaid and a large amount of French wine, and I'm sitting on the bed now, elevating my poor toe. I don't think it's broken, but it is an excellent excuse to avoid the gym today.

I have more to share - I've eaten ramen for the first time, and we should hear tomorrow about our house. I'll plan to write once the throbbing in my toe subsides.

No comments: