Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Our trip to China

-town, in Yokohama! We went to Chinatown!

I know, it was a dirty trick. But you didn't really believe it, did you?
As always, click pictures to embiggen.


Everyone in the band got Columbus Day off, so the Poppinses and we decided to explore for an afternoon. Speaking of which, I'd like to introduce you to them, at long last. Nadine, John, and baby Justine:

Good looking bunch, aren't they? John plays sax, and Nadine is a virtuoso violinist - only Justine's musical ability is as yet undiscovered. So is her vertical destiny - it remains to be seen whether she'll follow after Mom or Dad in the height department.

John and Nadine are world travelers who met in grad school, and they are super cool. We met up in the train station, but we didn't really know how to get to Chinatown after the last station. What to do?

The weather was gorgeous, and the whole district was surrounded by ornate, lovely Chinese gates. We visited a couple of temples too, though I'm afraid I can't identify the Chinese gods. There were beautiful prayers and ceremonies going on too. Seeing religious ceremonies in a language I don't understand reminded me of the writer Anne Lamott. She says there are only two prayers: "Thank you, thank you, thank you" and "Help me, help me, help me!" I wondered which ones they were praying yesterday.




Josh lit a candle this time, but he wouldn't tell me what he prayed for.

What a day! We walked around forever, pushing the baby in her stroller and perusing the goodies at a million shops. We each had a dumpling - Josh's and mine filled with shrimp, Nadine and John's with spicy pork. Even the dumplings are cute.

After the Poppinses (I'm just going to keep calling them that until they object) left to get the baby home, Josh and I found some yummy Chinese (what other kind?) food for dinner, and shared a big bottle of beer.


Ah, another good day.

P.S. Yesterday was a Japanese holiday too - Health and Sports Day, which commemorates the Tokyo Olympics. My Tnua Arabrab suggested that to celebrate health day, I flush a pork chop down the toilet. She is a hoot.

P.P.S. And now for some cute:

Nadine and John are brave, letting me hold their baby, aren't they? I could just nibble those tiny ears right off.

No comments: