Monday, July 27, 2009

Recipe of the day: Key Lime Vinaigrette

I love to cook. I can be imaginative, but I usually find myself riffing off someone else's recipe. Tonight was a rare exception: I had a bottle of key lime juice in the pantry thanks to Melanie, a request from Josh for a cold salad dinner, and a lot of time to think about it.

What came out was a barbecue chicken salad made with breast meat, homemade bbq sauce from the fridge, and some pantry staples, and then the main course: a whole wheat couscous salad with green beans, tomato, cucumber (thanks, Nadine!), red pepper, onion, cilantro, canned beans, and a delectable key lime vinaigrette. Throw some ingredients into the bowl, Internet, and mix this generously throughout - you won't be disappointed.

Key Lime Vinaigrette - Emily's Own!

1/2c olive oil
1/2c key lime juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-3 tsp. agave nectar, to taste
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper, or more to taste

Combine all ingredients in a tall, narrow container and blend with stick blender. Taste and adjust acid/sugar balance; season as desired. Drizzle over absolutely everything, and send royalties to emilymsullins at gmail dot com.

P.S. I know that a 1:1 oil to acid ratio is unusual, and in fact I started with 2:1. But the acid in key lime juice is pretty subtle and I just kept adding more until the ratio was about even, and it was delicious. I WALK ON THE WILD SIDE.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

You will have to tell me where you found agave nectar around here.

EmilySullins said...

I wish I could, Kerry - we brought two bottles back from the States in our luggage. I want to buy stock in Ziploc freezer bags.

I'm happy to share!