Sunday, August 9, 2009

Portrait of an evening

Tonight I made kind of a fancy dinner, worked pretty hard on it, in fact. And it came out well! Josh and I had just finished our plates and he was headed for seconds, while I was on the couch.

Then an earthquake hit.

Don't worry, it was small and everyone (and everything) is fine, just a tremor. But it was by far the biggest one I've felt in Japan, or in my life. It went something like this.

Josh: "Are you sure you don't want seconds?"
Emily: "Yep, I'm good for the mo- is that an earthquake?"
J: "What?"
E: "OHMYGOD ITS AN EARTHQUAKE!" (shouted while running downstairs and crouching in a doorway).

The whole thing lasted maybe a minute, which feels really, really long when THE DAMN PLANET IS SHAKING. (Turns out it was a 3.0 here). I'm from the east coast, folks. Send me a hurricane warning, and I know what to do. Ice storm? No problem. Blizzard? I'm good. But earthquakes? Seizures en terra? Those don't work for me.

2 comments:

Andi said...

You are so funny. I guess it's a good thing you're leaving then...no earthshakers in WA!

Bethanyivy said...

I'm with you. I don't care how small it is. If I can feel the earth shaking, it freaks me out a bit. It was kind of exciting though. No earthquakes in good ol' Tejas.